Some of you may of seen the recent Quicktime movie showing Quicksilver posting Backpack updates. There isn’t that much information out there explaining how to do it, so I thought I’d post a quick tutorial on getting it all to work.
- Make sure you’re using the latest version of Quicksilver, with the Apple Mail and Backpack plugins installed
- Make sure Mail.app is setup properly. You can check this simply by firing up the client and try sending some emails.
- Next, you need to configure the email actions. In Quicksilver preferences, you need to enable the
"Email Item... (Send Directly)"action, for the
"Files & Folders"types.
- Check this works – fire up quicksilver, hit ”.” and type some text in. Then hit Tab, and select the
"Email Item... (Send Directly)"action and hit tab again – finally press ”.” and type in the destination (or select an address form your address book). If that works out, you’re ready to try sending email to backpack.
- Log in to Backpack to get your developer key. Go to your Account page, and towards the bottom, you’ll see an option to show your developer key.
- In the Catalog preferences for Quicksilver, click the ”+” button to add a new catalog – select
"Backpack Pages"from the drop down. This will be the catalog that will work out how to talk to our Backpack pages. Your newly added catalog will be under “Custom”. Select it, then click the “i” icon in the bottom right. Put your username and developer key in.
- To try out your integration, bring up quicksilver and enter
"note>> sometext". Hit tab and select
"Email Item... (Send To)", tab again and bring up the backpack page you want to send the note to, hit enter and enjoy!